Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I'm NOT a racist, but come on guys.......(positive discrimination)

Happy Canada Day! Well, happy Canada Day for last Friday anyhow.

We went to a swanky 'do' at the Westin but that's for another time.

During the day I watched 2 hours of TV broadcasting the celebrations on Parliament Hill. I'm not a big fan of the Royals but I kinda like to see them treated with respect and such and that was the case in Ottawa.

After the Gov General inspected the troops/RCMP?? (the guys in the bearskins) and a couple of badly timed flyovers......and while I think of that - I know it's protocol for the GD to inspect but wouldn't you have thought they would have had William do it as he was in the neighbourhood?

Anyway they did all the pomp then sat down to about 90 minutes of a show.

I think this most years but stay quiet about it then I heard the guy on the radio this morning who I rarely listen to (Loll Green?) talk about how unrepresentative and skewed the performances were; too much folk, too much frankly poor performances and too much from Quebec (ironic that it was mostly French and the Quebec side all but ignored the Royals the past couple of days).

I really have to agree with him too! I'm all for proportional representation but it seemed very French and most of the acts were just terrible, sorry guys - I know they must rehearse their butts off but it just wasn't a show fit for a world stage - and we were on the world's stage with Will and Kate in attendance.

The NCC replied to these critics by saying a lot of the BIG Canadian acts were busy and unavailable. I do NOT buy that - and I yearn for the day when a Canada Day show can really represent what Canada has to offer in the way of entertainment in 2011.

I would like to have had that show last Friday when the Royals brought the world's press with them to witness that shambles of a show - which was also more or less repeated at 9pm before the 20 minutes of fireworks that were humdrum fireworks too - nothing that special for a special day.

KD Lang was in town, The Hip are around as they play Bluesfest in a few days, where was Celine (don't like her but you have to admit she is a good ambassador for Canada), BEIBER for god sake! RUSH, Neil Young - it should have been a barnstormer of a concert!

Next year keep the concert more balanced and properly representitive, get some bigger acts, let the headliner play more than just ONE song!

File this under #grindsmygears

DRUDE

No comments: